(Posted Winter 2019)
Director, External & Strategic Communications
(18-month temporary position)
The Business Council of British Columbia (BCBC) is seeking a communications professional to join our team for an 18-month maternity leave coverage. The BCBC is a non-partisan organization representing 250 of the largest and leading companies and employers in the province with assets and operations in every sector of the economy. The organization’s membership also includes B.C.’s leading post-secondary institutions. The BCBC provides timely and exceptional public-policy research and advice on issues to enhance B.C.’s competitiveness and prosperity. We convene business leaders with other decision makers and thought leaders from provincial and federal governments, Indigenous communities and academia to foster greater collaboration and advance solutions to some of the province’s most pressing challenges.
Working within a small but high performing communications and events team, this position has lead responsibility for maintaining and enhancing the BCBC brand, and managing and delivering on BCBC’s annual external communications strategy. This focus requires coordinating the distribution of policy and other written publications, managing media and stakeholder relations and supporting the organization’s robust events agenda. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in delivering on the Business Council’s new digital strategy which aims to increase the reach and impact of our publications and insights while leveraging a variety of tools and platforms including video, social media and creative digital content.
The role will include the following specific responsibilities:
- Providing strategic advice to the CEO and Executive of the Board
- Delivering on identified communications priorities and special projects
- Preparing content to support the merchandising and promotion of BCBC materials and key initiatives including identifying member stories
- Managing the BCBC brand and BCBC.com
- Executing multi-channel social media content including Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook
- Liaising with external suppliers
- Coordinating media outreach, inquiries and opportunities for BCBC spokespeople, including drafting and distribution of media releases
- Monitoring public policy events and activities of keen interest to the business community for opportunities to highlight BCBC positions and commentary
- Stakeholder relations with key members of government staff, other business associations and partners as required
The candidate will be expected to work collaboratively with all colleagues on staff, BCBC members and key stakeholders including government.
Working in collaboration with the Director of Events and Member Communications, the Director of External & Strategic Communications will report to the Chief Executive Officer. The candidate will attend regular communications team, policy group and other BCBC staff meetings.
The desired requirements for this job are:
- Minimum of 8-10 years communications experience
- General awareness of the provincial economy and public policy landscape
- Strong writing skills
- Understanding of social media practices and tools
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite an asset
All candidates should submit their CV/resume and a sample of writing to email@example.com.
BCBC will respond directly only to those candidates who are shortlisted.